Most recent blog

Along the Mirror's Edge

Friday 30 April 2021

Days Gone 2: Killed by gamers

 We are gathered here today

Are you a gamer? Do you enjoy spending some of that free-time currency with the ever creative medium of gaming? Well then you just make me sick, you depraved degenerate! Because that just means you, alongside all others of your kind, are responsible for the death of Days Gone 2. Or rather, we as a people are responsible for the termination of Days Gone 2 in utero, because although the game was cancelled before it was even made, we are the culprit at the end of it all. We are the one's found above the dining room with a bloody candlestick and a wanting alibi. (I assume those references made sense. I've never actually played Cluedo) So I guess the question is; Why'd you do it? Or why did we do it? Are we just a sick twisted people drunk on the sensation of crushing dreams? Maybe it's because we hate all artists and developers and want them to suffer and starve. Yeah, I'm thinking we're getting close to the root of the cancer. Maybe then we can finally validate to the former Bend director of Days Gone that we're all just as much degenerate scumbags as he knows we are.

Did I lay it on a bit thick? Sorry if any of my sarcasm actually offended you out there, I've worked up quite the immunity to name calling and general self loathing so I can get kind of carried away at times. But that little diatribe up there is really the first thought that came to my mind when I read John Garvin's views about the whole Days Gone 2 situation. But just in case you've found yourself out of the loop and am currently looking at this sentence with the glazed out expression of someone trying desperately to care; I'll consolidate. On my Birthday in 2019 (that's April 26) Sony publish a zombie biker open-world (survival?) game called Days Gone. It proceeded the usual flair and excitement that Sony originals got, which is why when it dropped and was only 'good', that stood out as a misfire from a studio that was determined to establish a reputation of publishing only excellence. That game sold well, but not amazingly, and now we've learnt that plans for a sequel have been scrapped for the time being and Bend Studio is without the franchise that they deserved. Also, we miss out on another Sam Witwer performance, and I positively adore Sam Witwer so that alone makes me devastated.

Yet in the words of a sullen pre-impetus Peter Parker; "I missed the part where that's my problem." Well don't worry cause John Garvin's got you there. I mean, he's not going to shoot your uncle, but he's got you covered anyway. Garvin was actually a featured guest on David Jaffe's (the creator of God of War) Youtube channel, whereupon he let off some choice opinions about the game he wrote for back when he worked for Bend. (which he didn't at the time of saying this) When addressed with the fact that Days Gone would be coming to the PS5 collection, our protagonist retorted with something that he admitted he knew would annoy some people. "If you love a game, buy it at full f******* price." (Sorry my man, no F-bombs on this blog) He extrapolated. "I can't tell you how many times I've seen gamers say 'yeah, I got that on sale, I got it through PS Plus, whatever-" Jaffe replied with the quite sound argument that one can't exactly say they love a game if they haven't played it, but our man Garvin knows how to sidestep, alright? He's on that politician game right now, avoiding direct questions like Muhammad Ali out here. "I'm just saying, you don't, but don't complain if a game doesn't get a sequel if it wasn't supported at launch." He then went on to make some modern God of War comparisons but that's just apples to oranges. Not really interesting.

The take away, as I see it, is obvious. Damn, gamers killed Days Gone 2 by not flocking to it like rapid monkeys on a banana tree. (Are monkey's really addicted to banana's like that? I feel like that's cartoon propaganda, gimme a sec- nah, at face value it would seem that they are. I don't care enough to really research.) Whereas other developers recently rode against Sony and their obsession with publishing nothing but constant blockbusters in a frankly unsustainable death march to perpetual improvement, Garvin's over here saying "No, all that stuff is fine. The gamers just failed to live up to their end of the bargain by mortgaging their house in order to buy my 7/10 game." And yeah, I suppose that's a very... a quite... well it's a point. That much is without doubt. Lets run with that a bit, shall we?

So video games live and die on the strength of their sales and engagement. That's what makes it clear to the investors that these developers know what they're doing and can make a buck. Therefore that does but the pressure of success onto the gamers to 'support' the game in order to keep everything hunky dory. Additionally, for some reason investors really care about week one sales over the lifetime performance most of the time, so I guess by Garvin's reasoning that means anyone who waits for a sale is a lazy scumbag who's prioritizing their bum selves over the poor company who makes the game. I guess I'm about to reveal myself as the embodiment of all scum them, because I haven't bought a game day one at full price since 2019. (And no, that game wasn't Days Gone. Are you kidding?) How could such inhuman waste like me be allowed to walk this earth without handcuffs and a cell?

Stepping back into my own perspective now, I actually have a reason why I don't buy games full price on day one (and Garvin should like this, it's a mild response with a sidestep!) I can't afford it. Yeah, funny that. I know it makes me the embodiment of Satan himself, but I just don't have the money to be buying every single videogame that I'm excited for just because I need to support the developer. I still pick up the games down the line most of the time, but I guess that doesn't count because it's accursed 'delayed money'. Consumers aren't endless piggy backs, or at least most of them aren't, and some of us really are quite careful about the things we spend our money on. In which case, and to draw from an example he himself used, let's examine why millions would flock to God of War to spend their day one money on over Days Gone. Let's keep this simple. Days Gone's Metacritic is 71. God of War's Metacritic is 94. (As of the writing of this blog) If I've got the spare cash to fork out on only one game at full price, it's going to God of War. But then, buying games day one is usually stupid anyway, and most informed purchases should occur after the game is out there so that we all know what we're buying exactly. Isn't that something developers should support? Empowering the consumer? Unless... unless they don't give a crap about the consumer beyond how much they can financially benefit them... but that's just alleged.

As one can imagine, Garvin's comments, though pre-empted by the man a bit, didn't hit the community well once they were unearthed. People seemingly didn't like getting the blame for the decisions of a multibillionaire company who've sunken into a habit of worshipping metacritic scores and record breaking sales over just solid games. But nones to worry, because once Garvin actually saw the responses and began to emphasise a bit with the customers, he realised the error of his view an- just kidding, he hasn't said jack. The current director of Bend Studio on the otherhand, Eric Jensen, laid out his staunch thanks to anyone who played Days Gone whether picked up "on day one, borrowed- from a friend, watched someone else play it or tried it on PS now." A wave of appreciation perhaps spurred on by the 15000 signature long petition to get Days Gone 2 greenlit again. (When all else fails, I guess) So slightly differing views on that topic, I'd say.

Personally I can see where this Garvin fellow is coming from, as a creative in an industry run by executives it can feel like the entire world is conspiring against you to watch you fail. And then when things don't work out as well as you think they should, it's easy to point fingers at what should seem like the logical culprits without really thinking things through. That and there's the fact that these comments were made in a casual chat with a friend, I understand; stupid, unrefined crap gets said sometimes, that's life. It just makes for supremely bad timing when the gaming world's optics are on Sony's culture and how that's influencing the industry. It just feels like a handwave to all his own contemporaries' experiences. Or maybe he's just saying what they're all thinking, and the wider game development world is as insular, bitter and toxic as the forums over at Resetera would have you believe. At this point I'd totally believe it, why not? It's not enough that the media labels us degenerate monsters-to-be, now developers might be looking at gamers as disloyal cheapskates. Well even if that is the case, jokes on you guys; I rock stingy like a supermodel! 

No comments:

Post a Comment