Most recent blog

Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne Review

Friday 19 February 2021

Stadia VS Terraria

 You feel an evil presence watching you...


Yes, look, I know I bring up Stadia too much. I know this has stretched beyond the point of a joke and dipped into sheer obsession. I know you're finger is currently hovering over the button to call the FBI to report my stalker-like devotion to this topic. I know all this- but gosh darn it you just can't stop me when a story goes this batty. I have to talk about it, else I'll just bottle it up inside and go back to the bad old place I used to be in. I don't wanna go there! You understand; this isn't about Stadia or you or me, it's about- well, actually back up: it is about me. This is me. Selfish content. Sue me. Actually don't sue me, sue Stadia, might as well scoop up some of those millions before they run out of it all and get shuttered within the impending few months. (They may have limped into 2021 against my wildest estimations, but I'll eat my hat if they make it to Christmas)

So what's the news today? Well it starts with another 'Have you heard of', only this time it's a much more palatable ask because we're talking about Terraria! Do you remember Terraria? It's the 2D crafting game that an absolute layman who dedicates next to no effort actually playing the game might mistake as being a 2D Minecraft. (So as you can imagine: that's IGN's review) No, Terraria's similarities with Minecraft start and end with the ability to deform the earth and create a house, exactly the same as a hundred different crafting survival games out there. Terraria is much more about the many enemies and bosses that you have to uncover and slay in order to make your world a little safer and keep it from the encroaching corruption. It's actually quite a bit more combat focused than Minecraft, with entire systems built in that take into account tiered weapons and armours, unique items and creative boss-killing traps. In that sense, you might say that Terraria has more in common with your typical Metroidvania than Minecraft, but even that's selling is short. All in all, Terraria is unique, thus a boon for any system to have on their storefront. (Or at least it would be had the team put any effort whatsoever into the modern console UI. Right now the console port pretty much unplayable. Get the PC version.)

Thus I'm hardly surprised that it was on the docket for Stadia conversion at some point within the near future. I mean, that just fits, no? I assume it was part of the write up for "Games we need to get as soon as possible in order to be taken seriously" Alongside Minecraft, Call of Duty and the latest Rockstar release. They- they don't have Call of Duty? Wait seriously? I mean at least they have- WHAT DO YOU MEAN THEY DON'T HAVE MINECRAFT! Good god, who is in charge of the Stadia project and how did they secure that a position after such a recent lobotomy? Irregardless, there's a certain type of game that most consider standard on any platform that they game from, and providing that is pretty much the bare minimum that any system needs to achieve. (Thank you for joining the standard as closely as feasibly possible this generation, Nintendo. We missed you for a bit there.)

But, what if I told you that was no longer the case. As in, Terraria suddenly has been pulled from the Stadia lineup just a few hairs before it's debut? Well, you might be wondering "What in the heck could have gone wrong?" I mean it can't be a hardware issue, that's unimaginable considering Stadia have been flaunting their 'magically invisible hardware' forever now. And no, this actually comes back to a much more human issue of bad customer service. Although, I will admit that given some of the comments/accusations that have been made regarding this case, I have a feeling there's another, more business oriented, side to this story that's not come out yet. Until then, however, I'm choosing to believe that this is all about the customer service.

You see, the co creator of Terraria, a Mr Spinks, seems to have had a rather rough go of things recently. He found himself being unceremoniously locked out of his google account recently, and the lackadaisical ethics of the Google support team had hin trapped in a dance that Mr Spinks so generously called "The runaround." Now, you'll likely be somewhat aware of how much of an issue being locked out of a Google account actually is. Google likes to fashion themselves as the front page of the Internet, (sorry Reddit) and their functionality crosses over to pretty much every single daily service one could go through. Want to post videos on Youtube to advertise your game? Google Account required. Want to communicate with your business email of 10 years? Google Account required. Want to manage a deal with Stadia to port your success-story indie game to their platform? It would seem, according to Mr Spinks, Google Account required.

We don't know the details about what went down, just that Spinks is adamant he broke absolutely no TOS rules. (Which, I suppose, we'll just have to believe unless anyone can prove otherwise.) The fallout has cost him the majority of his Google drive, too, so there might be some actual tangible work lost in whatever mix up caused this. And the consequence? Well, in a move that I'm sure some are eager to categorize as 'petty', he's actually gone ahead and cancelled the Stadia version of Terraria. Just like that, another essential game which Stadia has been missing out on, gone in a puff of smoke. I'd almost feel bad for the Stadia team- actually, you know what I do. That may be a little odd coming from me, but they had literally nothing to do with any of this Google account nonsense, so to punish them in order to punish their parent company sort of feels like missing the forest for the trees. Does Mr Spinks really think Google proper is going to bat an eye about losing this game for their service which is already on the way out? I'd imagine they don't even know what a 'Terraria' is.

Which is why I think there's another angle to this story which is yet to come out. The exact phrase which the aggrieved mister used was that it was a "Liability" to work with Google, now I don't know about you but that sounds like it carries a lot more baggage than being knocked about by a little bit of bad service. Additionally, I'd imagine there'd have to be an actual business-related issue for turning down free Google money like that. I mean, those guys are willing to throw around money like it's nothing, so if you're too proud to take advantage of that I can only assume it's because it'll cost you elsewhere. Then again, perhaps Mr Spinks just really holds umbrage with Google's monopolistic practises and was pressured into making a stand by this whole affair, it's hard to say from an outsider's viewpoint.

What this does betray, however, is something of a negative relationship between developers and Stadia, whether that be the rule or the exception over here. We've seen how the Epic Store has managed to secure itself as a viable storefront in recent years, despite being unequivocally worse put together than it's competitors, all through offering the developers a better deal. Heck, Kingdom Hearts just came out as an Epic Exclusive! (Then again, Square does appear to have some sort of personal gripe with Steam for some reason, so that might be more down to that.) As much as it pains you to hear it again, it pains me to say it again, but once more this is evidence of Stadia failing yet another milestone towards becoming the go-to platforms for games; Developer trust. And public coverage of this little disaster is only going to worsen that perception of trust going forward. Man, it really do suck to work for Google, huh. Aside from the paychecks. I'd imagine the paychecks make up for the widespread hatred just that little bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment