Most recent blog

Somehow Fntastic has returned

Wednesday 18 September 2024

I'm happy that Yakuza wars in the next RGG game.

 

Ryu Ga Gotoku, better known as 'Yakuza', is one of my favourite video game franchises ever created- it's one of the most consistently quality processions of video games ever devised- and as a lover of consistency and greatness- yeah, Imma gravitate towards that. The drama, the humour, the characters, the set pieces, the worlds and the combat- everything has been refined to such an impeccable pinnacle that every new entry staggers the mind to think where they could improve their craft next. Their craft as system crafters, world designers, story tellers- there isn't a facet of RGG that fails to grow game after game and I just can't wait for the best of the best to show their face once again. But let me clue you in on a little something- I'm also so very tired.

Now I'll admit this is something of a me problem by definition- but I have spent the past few years playing and completing every single game in this franchise to such a degree that I can experience everything they have to offer and asses they against one another. With the exception of 'Three', for which I only endured the main story because that game controls like a drunk pensioner with two broken hips. That ain't no mean feat either- as opposed to some other franchise retrospectives I've done over the years, wherein the rule is typically 'small numbers of long games' or 'large number of small games'- pretty every single adventure in the RGG franchise of games is a 70+ hour adventure with the exception of the original 'Kawami' (A mere 50 hour) and 'Like a Dragon: Gaiden'. (A comparatively lean 40 hour) Their recent RPG games? 100+ hours both. 'Lost Judgement' and 'Ishin' scrap the 90 hour limit. That's a lot of game.

And I love these games, I absolute do. But sometimes you have to ween yourself away from the thing you love before it becomes something that you hate. Something you feel so often that it's ever familiar beat resonates a deep hatred instead of a familiar 'aww'. And to be honest- I was scratching that way with Infinite Wealth. I didn't like it as much as some of the other recent RGG games and I think the only reason why might be that bias- because everything substantive about the game was so admittedly steller. I still loved my time with it and consider the money well spent. (Except for the extra dungeon which should have just been rolled into the game.)  And if through shear overload I hated up despising the thing I love, I couldn't think of a more sad state to wallow in.

Which is why I got so very scared when rumours began to abound about a brand new Yakuza game being unveiled this very year- just a few months after the humongous 'Infinite Wealth' dropped. (The RGG output machines is friggin' insane!) To be fair there were rumblings about how this was going to be 'surprising' and 'unlike anything you expected', which might have meant a refreshing entry that didn't strike at my 'too much' nerve- but in my heart I knew it wasn't going to quite enough to free me of my discontent. And so I sat there terrified of what might occur- at which point another leak deflated all the air from the room. Worry not guys, it seems that the next title for the RGG franchise is 'Yakuza Wars'.

Now, ignoring the fact that this game's name blatantly disregards the unified naming convention that the games just started abiding to, a title like 'Yakuza Wars' really does strike up some interesting imagery- doesn't it? Maybe you'll think of sweeping strategy titles like 'Total War' which evoke control over massive heaps of units as that tactically traverse wide open battles that challenge composition, planning and reactionary decision making. But then you might think- hang on, isn't that just the Majima Construction minigame from Kiwami 2? Nah, I guess that was more 'base defence'... wait, no there was a 'Kiryu Clan' minigame in Yakuza 6 that was actually just a tactics game... so which direction does this one go? Neither, it's a mobile game.

Such words run the blood cold, don't they?  A 'mobile game'- is there anything more base, more beggarly, more disconsonant with the very soul of art and creation? Oh and you bet this title just stinks of Gatcha crap! Low quality Jpeg renders of popular characters mixed with absolute nobodies that have never been heard of in this franchise- you don't even need to see the thing in action because if you've played one of these 'collect a crew' style mobile games you've played them all. They a dime a dozen, carry no creativity and exist only to siphon funds out the pockets of the bevies of pocket gamers who don't invest in consoles, don't appreciate going on experiences and just want to waste a couple of minutes. It is a beautiful example of the "Sorry but we're closing our service" a year down the line, meta. And I have happy this is the next game.

I am happy because I feared whatever the next RGG game would be- I would lose my next month engrossed in it. I was afraid I would be hopelessly sucked into another all-consuming adventure whilst everything else I needed to do slipped helplessly into the wayside. I no longer need to fear because I won't be buying this game. Or downloading it for free, as the case may usually be. I don't want to play it, because it looks utterly unrecognisable as a Yakuza game. This is the equivalent of just releasing no Yakuza game, because everyone knows this isn't aimed at the cultivated audience. I fear this also won't earn a billion bucks like they're hoping for because the mobile market is saturated with identical trash- but I bet the company don't care either. This is lip service for investors, nothing more.

As for the real Like a Dragon that I care about? Well, I've still got the Amazon show coming very soon. That'll be worth a watch I'll bet. And beyond that? I really appreciate the space for the franchise to breath and I'll bet the developers do too. Todd Howard has himself a bit of a skewered reputation these days, with his words often used as a group spittoon for his many detractors but I think recently he poised a very solid bit of marketing wisdom. He said that he doesn't think it's bad for people to miss things, and I would agree having felt that very way when Mass Effect Andromeda dropped so soon after the franchise had laid itself to rest. Let me miss Like a Dragon for a little bit- and a couple years off could really do that. (I'm begging you, RGG!)

No comments:

Post a Comment