Most recent blog

Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne Review

Thursday 19 August 2021

Starmancer Early access

 It's a start, certainly.

Up there amidst the endless black, around blinking quasars and drooping nebulae, drifts a single lone entity, a derelict space station; inhabits being a single lonely AI and an Ark full of human DNA to clone and do with as it pleases. There, in the simpliest nutshell imaginable, is my explanation for what Starmancer promises to the player, and probably what drew me in those past two years ago when I happened across it. Seems I have an eye for these Star-based products that are spawned in early access with wild dreams and a song in their hearts. I remember another story I came across was that of Starbound, a side-scrolling building adventure game set in space that seemed to be trying to be the 'next step up' from Terraria, but never quite seemed to nail the execution. When last I played it, Starbound was slowly receiving new modes and systems that didn't really effect the core experience all that much, and then the team just went silent. (Presumably to move on to bigger and better things) So I'll coming into the early access field I am a little cautious, I haven't be burned as bad as some others (Starbound's final version is still a great game I've spent 100 of hours with) but now I know that even success-bound projects can have their final ultimate drawbacks.

Thus Starmancer would have had to do something really special to get my attention, no? Well, they let me play the thing, and that actually helped a great deal in deciding if this was worth my time. Yes, back when Steam did their 'Summer of play demos for upcoming games', Starmancer was one of the games that went for the bait, and even with the hour-or-so I had with the game I could tell it was the sort of thing I'd love. Born from the genre of games that bought us Dwarf Fortress and Dungeon Keeper, Starmancer is the sort of game about managing clones of humans to build and sustain a space station whilst dealing with the basics like making sure the oxygen is running, wiring up and then keeping power systems connected, ensuring that rooms don't freeze their occupants to death, and maybe fending off the odd Space zombie that winds up on your station. It was pure sandbox, very intuitive, and sported a totally gorgeous flat pixel aesthetic that rotated perfectly to always face the camera. How could I not fall in love?

From there I did learn that the game was made by only 2 people, which came with it's own share of optimism and worries. On the most obvious half of things, it's only two people: How can you expect the best outcome from that? Most sandbox games take entire dedicated teams of people who live and breathe their game to come together in a coherent way, but Starmancer expects to sail by on a tiny team like that? But then I find myself thinking to Stardew Valley, a fantastic and great game, which was born from but one person. Kenshi, a labour of love from a single man. Don't Starve, Bastion, Super Meat Boy, Cuphead; sometimes it just takes someone who really cares about the genre they're working with in order to nail the execution on a game. Give them the time and enough materials and they will build that game they promise, they're passion driven. Of course, such projects need the right two people working on them, but confidence is an apt shield to hide behind when I ponder how anyone could start a project with this much passion and not be dedicated? (Blind optimism? You betcha!)

In the time since then I've been trying to keep uncharacteristically out of the affairs of the game itself so that I might gauge the game fresh when it arrives, whenever that may be. I kept an ear out, but turned my attentions elsewhere, hoping onto the Steam page every few months and so to make sure there wasn't any 'surprise announcement' that I would have missed out on simply by having my attentions elsewhere. But as it just so happens I needn't have bothered. A game that was revealed during an E3 event was hardly going to miss dropping that release date outside of E3, and I whooped in giddily surprise when I saw that title make it's surprise drop-by with that news I was waiting for. Finally I would have the chance to see the game that blossomed out of that promising demo. And so needless to say, I picked up Starmancer Day 1, something I hadn't done since Persona 4 Golden on PC. But have I fallen quite so hardly in love as I did with Persona?

Not yet, truth be told. Not even nearly. Whilst the game did live up to everything I saw in that first demo and a little bit more, it hasn't really ballooned into a game with a solid direction to it yet, and that's something you feel right from the get-go. Yes, there's a threadbare story that acts like a tutorial, but when it comes to the main gameplay loop of building your base, there's no endgame state to shoot for. Which makes sense how everything wouldn't be laid out yet, of course, this game released in early access; but I'm just having trouble seeing the vision I'm supposed to be excited for. As it is I've played less than 10 hours and am having trouble really seeing what to keep coming back to the game for. I mean I love the art, and building up by station with the necessary systems and trip breakers so that one mistake doesn't cripple the whole base is pretty fun; but where's my draw? I'm waiting for that to be answered with bated breath, and a little bit of crossed fingers too. 

Aside from the basic, yet functional nature of the game, is a lot of non-functionality as well; meaning bugs, bugs, bugs galore. Or at least that's what I'm told, as a vast majority of the horrific issues that have been crippling people's ability to enjoy this game on even the most basic level have totally flown past me. I guess I'm just lucky. Reports have come out of the game crashing all over the place, AI falling apart, leaving the airlock without putting on a spacesuit. (I actually did spot that happening once. But it wasn't as funny as that sounds, the guy just went about his business as though he was equipped) I've seen, at worst, a bug where a power-draining insect couldn't be engaged by my crew, and so it kept draining power for days without being touched until I literally just re-routed the system around the damn thing. My issues are more fundamental, such as how the ice-mining system is supposed to work beyond just dumping ice on the ground and waiting for it to dethaw, or how specific jobs are meant to be assigned beyond just setting 'priorities' and praying the game picks up what you want them to do.

What concerns me right now isn't the idea that this game will need to improve, that much is obvious and I have the patience to wait and see this flower blossom, it's more what future a game like this could shoot for, because I'm not overly familiar with the genre in question. The roadmap has some details upon it such as adding factions and tools of defence, will will certainly work towards fleshing out the world and adding purpose to building in defending from the outside, but I feel like these sorts of games benefit from having internal goals too, not to keep things complicated but to motivate the player beyond "I need to keep living because if I don't then I won't be alive anymore." I was personally thinking of something that leaned into the 'evil AI' concept a bit more, like perhaps some advanced shady research you could trick your crew into working towards, like advanced genetic research to grow up some abominations. Just real messed-up stuff like that to keep the players invested in something other than constant expansion and defence. (But I'm talking literal end-of-development, 1.0, stuff here, for now we could use something just basic and simpler for the health of the game)

As with any Early Access title, jumping on right now is starting on the road to a finished product and not buying one outright, so going in expecting a totally fleshed-out experience is really just setting oneself up for disaster. For a sandbox, however, I would envision just a little more in the realms of replayability at this stage, and lacking that does encourage an eyebrow raised, if not genuine concern being seeded. But a smaller, indie game, that doesn't even cost a whole lot; I'm willing to give a lot of wiggle room and jump back on the game from time to time to see if I can't make my own fun with messing around and punking my space crew, the way that any self-respecting AI would. But would I recommend jumping into Starmancer at this stage? Not especially, unless you'll happy to support a small team and want to see the best out of them, because the product in question might not be worth the price of admission alone, at least not yet. I will be keeping myself, and maybe even this blog, updated however; I'm sticking till the end with this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment