Most recent blog

Along the Mirror's Edge

Friday 27 March 2020

The Best Companion in: Fallout New Vegas

Where the diamond crescent's glowing

Okay, here's where this topic actually starts to come alive into something of it own. That last blog was pretty much a crapshoot wherein all of the options were essentially just carbon copies of themselves, and that is because, as I stated, Bethesda till hadn't quite figured out how to nail video game companions just yet. Now, however, we move onto Fallout in the eyes of the original creators now under Obsidian, and let's just say there's a reason why people say that Obsidian are the greatest Fallout Devs. I could completely turn this blog into a step-by-step as to why all of Bethesda's games pail in comparison to New Vegas, but I don't really need to because it should be obvious to anyone who plays the game. (Which isn't to say that I never will make that blog, just that I have no need to at the present.) With the said and done, let me explain why it's so much more difficult to decide on a best companion for this game, even with a purely subjective stance.

'Fallout: New Vegas' is a cut above it's peers in terms of story and writing because the folks behind it seemed to have a clear idea of the concepts and themes that they wanted to address with every part of the story. The main game focuses around the hedonism and greed of the new land of Sin, and just about every significant story or side story that you encounter along the way reflects some aspect or reaction to that world. We have a DLC that focuses on greed, a Character arc that's shaped by guilt, and a backstory that revolves around shame. None of that is to say that complex storytelling is devolved down to those concepts, but merely they form the spinal cord from which the rest of the narrative branches out, in some instances even leading to multiple paths of resolution. It takes a decided step away from the 'good or evil' 'black and white' of other Bethesda games and into that vast grey between, which is partially why I consider New Vegas to be one of the greatest Western RPGs of all time.

Unfortunately, this also means that almost all of the companions that you come across throughout 'New Vegas' are top notch, which presents a bit of a conundrum for this blog. I honestly can't think of another game in which I love and respect all the ancillary characters in it as much as I do with New Vegas, and I'm even counting RPG classics like 'Dragon Age: Origins' in that listing, so you can see how serious I am about it. Plus, Obsidian decided to move away from the stupidly arbitrary 'Karma requirement' for hiring companions meaning that everyone had the chance to experience all of the follower's stories, as it is meant to be. If I have one hang-up, although this is something that I'd extend to all of western RPGs, it's that the crew rarely have the chance to interact with each other, which is shame when you consider how interesting many of these personalities are. I would love to see Cass and Veronica butt heads about their polar opposite world views or watch Raul bicker with ED-E whilst performing maintenance. Alas, that is a boon that only Japanese RPGs seem to covert currently.

When deciding upon my favourite, I feel it's important to start from the very bottom. When I said that I love almost every companion that you meet in the game, that was because of Lily, the Super Mutant Nightkin who you'll find by Jacobstown. I think it's funny how this is a location wherein you're actually reintroduced to one of the fan favourite Fallout 2 companions, and yet the only companion you receive here is boring old Lily. Basically her story is that she appears to be someone's grandmother who was turned into a Nightkin and sort of has trouble struggling with her rage a bit. This could prove a interesting baseline for an indepth character dive and study in controlling base instinct, but there doesn't really appear to be any of that story for her. In fact, her entire arc seems a little half-assed and I don't even really remember how her story ended up. I think she finishes your journeys a little more balanced, but I really don't care. Let's just move on.

Sticking on the non-human theme I decided to focus on Rex the dog next. That's right, Fallout New Vegas is so far the only main series Fallout game not to feature Dogmeat as a companion, but rather a cool new cyborg-dog named Rex. You meet him as being the personal pet of the leader of a gang of Elvis impersonators (it's a weird game, okay) and thus are bonded with him for life. Things are a little weird at times, however, probably because you can see his brain in a jar, it's just a little unsettling, but dogs in general do make the perfect buds for a post apocalyptic stroll so I can look past all that. His story is rather morbid though, as you learn the animal is suffering from brain damage and thus must find a replacement brain to stick in it's head, requiring you to essentially hunt down the right donor animal. I do like the quest however, for you get to pick the right donor in the knowledge that whoever you choose will actually affect Rex's personality, and thus his ending. It's a nice subtle hint of customisation and relationship building in a morbid and wacky world.

As I've built the precedent, there is but one more robotic companion, although I personally count this one as my favourite of this sub-genre. ED-E is a Enclave-brand eyebot who is unique for having as storied a history travelling the wastes as you. In fact, the very first gameplay trailer for New Vegas prominently features ED-E being shot out of the sky prior to the events of the game. His design is specifically tailored to have that 'well-travelled' vibe, with the vacation stickers stuck everywhere, and somehow he seems like the perfect number two to a travelling courier on the road. Of course, as you learn more about ED-E you see that he has quite the history to dive into, and should you look into your own history you'll learn that the two of you have quite the past together. In fact, you two are so closely entwined that for the final DLC, 'The Lonesome Road', he is the only companion who joins you for the journey to the heart of your greatest sin, talk about a partner for life!

If we are to hop to Humans now, (or humanoids) then I am happy to report there isn't a single weak entry in this entire category. Firstly, I'll start with one of the strongest companions and a friend-for-life if you play your cards right; Boone. Boone is an ex-NCR sniper who has retired to a relatively dull life as the nighttime lookout man for a small settlement, although you can tell he still has some kick left in him. Help him with his little problem and he'll join you on the road and reignite his quest for revenge. Boone initially seems like a one-note "I'm angry" character, but as you slowly get him to open up you'll start to learn about the underlying guilt driving his every action. As you two grow together you can help him work through that guilt or encourage him to feed off it, eventually culminating in an epic showdown against an army of legionnaires as he attempts to atone for one of his many failures. Truly an epic tale for a epic companion.

Next I'll stretch the definition of 'Human' to focus on the ghoul mechanic known as 'Raul Tejada' played by the unforgettable Danny Trejo. Now I love Trejo, not necessarily for his acting as much for his general presence; but his performance as Raul is literally one of my favourite parts of this entire brilliant game. When you first meet Raul he is being kept as a prisoner for a mountain ruled by Nightkin, forced to maintain their radio so that they can broadcast pro-supermutant propaganda. He seems like a sarky old geez who doesn't appear to take too much seriously, not even his own incarceration. Raul is almost the picture of laid back and you can't imagine what story led him to where he is, that is until you start getting closer to him. What he eventually tells you is that he was actually a pre-war ghoul, meaning that his tale is of living through the bombs and trying to survive the chaos of it all with his little sister. I won't spoil how it all turns out, but thanks to brilliant writing and a powerful performance by Trejo, this is literally one of the most emotionally evocative stories ever told in Fallout, second in my eyes only to the story of Randall Clark. (And if you don't know Clark's story, let's just say that's high freakin' praise.)

This next character was designed as another callback to Fallout 2, as Rose Sharon of Cassidy is meant to be the daughter of John Cassidy. Cass, however, easily makes it as a great character all in her own and someone who I honestly wish had a little more to do in the main questline. Cass is a caravan leader who seems to have inherited her Father's alcoholism after having her livelihood destroyed in what appears to be a freak raider attack. The Courier comes across this jaded old soul drinking her sorrows down in a bar and, with a little bit of tact, can put a little bit of a pep back in her step. Rose can put me to shame when it comes to pessimism and when you come across her it's easy to see her on a self-destructive path to oblivion which the player can either assist her on or work her through. Admittedly, for Cass the thing that makes her so memorable is less the strength of her story and more the charm of having a sassy friend around to always remind you that now matter how many people you help the world's still gone to crap. You're doing god's work, Rose Sharon.

These next two are mostly tied in my head for number one, and in writing this list I genuinely had an issue picking one over the other. I think the big differentiating factor that sets these two apart is that they have both oodles of charm and a great story to sink your teeth into, and that's one the reasons why I love Arcade Gannon. Arcade is a doctor for the Followers of the Apocalypse, and as such is one of the few intellectuals that you can have one your team, he's also got a healthy touch of Cass's nihilistic sass, although he plays it off a lot more endearing. Only once you start to get to know Arcade do you realise that he has an incredible secret connected to his past and specifically the people his father used to know, triggering a journey all across the Mojave in an effort to help relieve Gannon of the shame he associates with his father. (Or to assemble a friendly group of powerful mercenaries on your side, whichever tickles your fancy more.) Arcade is a delightful presence and a functionally useful companion, making him a clear pick for my favourite. At least he would be, if it wasn't for one woman.

Veronica Santiago is, in my opinion, the best character in 'Fallout: New Vegas', and if you've decoded my criteria you'll likely have a decent idea why. She is instantly charming and likeable with a slightly unique premise to her being a member of The Brotherhood of Steel without the customary zealous leanings. Hanging out with her is almost as fun as learning more about her, as she is both funny and one of the least jaded human beings in the wasteland. Once you do start to learn her story, however, you'll hear about her struggling to find an identity with a family that she's grown disillusioned to; as well as hearing about her heartbreaks, and close ties to the renegade Brotherhood elder, and just so much about the things that make her who she is. Honestly there are so many factors to Veronica's story that she feels like a real person by the time you're through it all. But the thing that really seals the deal with her, at least as far as I'm concerned? The DLC 'Dead Money'. That DLC has the character kidnapped and forced to perform a heist by said-renegade Brotherhood Elder, Elijah, and is a great time all on it's own. As you progress, however, you'll start to realise that a lot of the plot-threads introduced there are also part of Veronica's story too, to the extent that you actually bump into her old girlfriend whilst trying to survive the Sierra Madre. (Although I guess the Courier is too dumb to put 2 and 2 together, because you have literally no choice to tell Veronica that her old flame is still kicking.) It does end in a touching moment where you can share the Elder's last words with Veronica, making for a solemn wrap up of a interesting sub-story that didn't even need to be resolved. And that's the reason why having Veronica in my playthrough is a must-have whenever I go into 'New Vegas'.

Given my love for 'Fallout: New Vegas', I think it's fair to extend my criteria and say that Veronica is also my pick for best companion in the Fallout franchise, but I'm still going to cover Fallout 4 next because I'm an idiot. Also, it seems that Fallout 76 is planning to bring companions for their newest expansion 'Wastelanders' so I suppose I'm going to have to hold my nose and jump into that dumpster fire once more when it comes out. (Yes, I know I don't 'have' to. I'm just a masochist.) What I really look forward too, however, is taking a look at how other franchises handle their companions after that, as I feel like that's when the really interesting parallels will get drawn. (Would it be unfair to rate JRPG's in that list? I think that would be unfair.) Perhaps I'll even do a wrap up of all the games I went over in some grand finisher blog, I don't know I'm making this all up as I go. Until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment