Most recent blog

Along the Mirror's Edge

Monday 1 November 2021

Stardew Valley 2

 Reunited and it feels so good!

I love Stardew Valley. I think I have ever since I first mistaked upon a screenshot of the thing posted on the front of the 'upcoming games' list for Xbox. I just saw the thing and went "That, right there. That's the game I want to play". Maybe it was the bright, welcoming palette of rich green grass and desert yellow sand, or the shots of the unbroken peace of farm life, as promised to me by years of hearing the praises of Harvest Moon and Animal Crossing. Maybe I just needed that sort of juxtaposition in my gaming library at that point in my life, to take me away from the ultraviolence of titles like DOOM, or the stress of online expectations radiating from games like Overwatch. Whatever vibe I unconsciously sent out into the universe resonated immediately the second I saw the existence of Stardew Valley and so I can say with confidant that I was an instant convert. Even more lucky was that this was a game I found out about mere weeks before it's console launch, and so that alluring curiosity could be fulfilled right away.

Having played almost two full playthroughs of Stardew Valley at this point (I'm very excited to pick up a steam version at some point so I can start my third) I can dispel that gut reaction which I, and I can assume many others, had to this game. It is not peaceful. Oh sure, living on a farm in the middle of nowhere USA means that you don't have to deal with saving the world from a demon invasion on Mars, or leading a religious crusade against invading forces from the other world, or... whatever the heck Metal Gear is doing that particular day. But just because saving the world doesn't enter the equation doesn't mean living the Stardew life isn't driven by expectations. You have to make money, afterall, so that you can afford seeds to keep your farm alive and expand your tools, but in order to afford that you need to make sure your crops are giving their maximum yield on the right days, which means watering them regularly and without fail. But then you have to make sure you keep up with other duties in the day such as foraging in the wild paths, as well as stopping by the local shop and going fishing in the midday. This is just before stopping by the mines in order to pick some ores and fight a few monsters and flying by the bar in the late evening to spend an hour being aggressively social to any of the town members who you didn't manage to wave hello to during the routine. All of this so that you can get back to bed at a decent time and start the whole thing again the very next day.

'Deceptively peaceful', is the way I like to describe Stardew, but in that lies her undeniable charm. Afterall, what's the point of 'living the life' without a purpose? And Stardew Valley is a game built in such a way that it gives you a routine, job and responsibilities without you ever realising the weight of it all settling on your shoulders. It's what gives that game it's life and purpose, spurred on by the personable characters of the valley and personality in the simply gorgeous pixel art style. Just as with Persona, it's the games that seek to make the everyday duties of life into a video game that speak to me on the deepest level, resonating with my soul in a seemingly effortless manner. Thus when the creator of that game, 'ConcernedApe' announced that he was working on another game, it was news that hit me with the sadness that the beautiful Stardew Valley was taking her rest, but excitement for wherever he wanted to make next. And what does that game look like after a reveal? Well- it honestly looks like Stardew Valley 2.

I don't want that to at all sound disparaging and as though I'm implying what we've looking at here is a cheap copy-and-paste job that isn't worthy of it's own merits, nothing like that. What I mean to say is, this game looks as though it's hewn from the exact same cloth as it's predecessor, and given the praise I just laid upon that, It's only natural that I'm very excited about this game too.  Copying your own homework isn't the worst thing in the world when you're assignment was the gaming equivalent of 'War and Peace'. You could give me a hundred games in Stardew's relaxed lined modern pixel art style and I'd never get bored of looking at the screen. How could you when the game's look sings with such richness? And if this title promises even a quarter of the cute warmth that Stardew had, then this is going to be another special and unique* little title. But what is it actually called, you may ask? That would be: The Haunted Chocolatier. (*Unique whilst looking the same is a strange concept that I'm struggling to reconcile)
 
Now hearing that name for the very first time you may have the same initial reaction I did; oh, so this is Willie Wonka and the Chocolate factory then? ConcernedApe himself says that the idea just came from the idea that "People like chocolate", but I think I may spy a little bit of the ol' Rolad Dahl influence here and there from the vaguely eastern European houses and the deep snow blanket over the visuals. (Although those may just be coincidental design choices, I can't claim to know the developer's mind) And where does the 'haunted' part come into it? Well from the looks of things the game will have you actually doing the hard job of selling your stuff this time, setting up a store floor and assigning ghosts to serve as your in-the-store employees. (Honestly, the shop floor stuff looks a lot like Moonlighter to me, so I'm happy to see that present too)

ConcernedApe seems to have reserved a lot of the beloved gameplay that made Stardew Valley so enchanting, like the whole travelling around and weeding the country side with tools, presumably in search of the greatest chocolate ingredients. Monsters and a little combat has made it into the game too, and what's more there appears to be somewhat updated, what with this new bow and arrow present in our repertoire for new ranged ranged enemies to chew on. There will be characters to interact with around the town who will no doubt have their own cheeky standout personalities quirks and heartwarming stories tied to them, what looks to be romance routes, just as with Stardew, and even a multiple choice dialogue tree featured that seems to be there for making personality choices rather than just for info dumps. All and all this is looking like an improvement upon the Stardew formula in every way imaginable.

There's still a lot to wonder about though, such as what will be the big overarching impetus that will drive the player to engage fully with all the systems. In Stardew Valley there was the community centre which needed to be restored at the behest of your deceased Grandfather, the Haunted Chocolatier could easily go with something similar but I see another possibility too. One of the big differences off the bat I've noticed is the fact that the Chocolatier house isn't some ramshackle ranch that you steadily upgrade into a home, but a large sprawling facility that seemingly was a chocolate factory once before. (At the end of the trailer the player is introduced as the 'new' chocolatier, afterall) So I think that a very natural course of game progression could be in locking off the various sprawling wings of the factory to be gradually unlocked through the course of the game as you cross certain milestones and thresholds. But that's just a suggestion, I'm sure the supernatural element will have a just-as-huge part to play in this game's narrative.

Needless to say that this game is a definite must-have from lil 'ol me. However we must all remember, as we look upon this, not to get too whipped up into a frenzy due to the fact that this is a first look, and ConcernedApe is only one guy. Or at least, he was when he made Stardew Valley and thus I can only assume he still is. (If he's got a team now that would be great! But I'm not keeping my fingers crossed) It could be years, a lot of them, before this game comes to the world and with patience and grace from the fan's side, it will be worth that long wait just as Stardew Valley was. In the mean time I'm really getting that itch to jump into the magical valley in the middle of nowhere once again for another star-struck adventure, all the while dreaming of chocolate rivers and never-ending gob-stoppers in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment