Most recent blog

Along the Mirror's Edge

Wednesday 18 September 2019

Hitman 2: Nightcall

It's about time we break some rules

A few weeks back, I dedicated a series of blogs towards assessing my favourite levels in one of my favourite games of all time; 'Hitman: No subtitle.' I completely underestimated just how much I would love diving into each and every level and the specifics of what makes a great Hitman level. (Plus that was one of first times that I began providing my own pictures and videos to the blog in place of promotional material.) Honestly, I had so much fun that I'm a little sad that we only have 8 more levels left to go. (With a ninth due this month.) I need to think of another modular game that I can replace this with. (I'd ask for suggestions but...)

When Hitman 2 dropped in 2018, my attention for the game was split between it and Red Dead Redemption 2. (Two powerhouses in my book.) On one hand, there was never a doubt that I would pick up Red Dead at some point, but on the other hand, I felt like I would miss out on a lot of the hype if I waited. My indecision took me all the way to the counter of my local games store, there the staff tried to convince me to get Red Dead, (Advice that was completely unsolicited, I might add.) but I had already made up my mind due to one incidental discovery.

Whilst looking at Hitman 2's store page, I noticed a demo. "Oh, that's cool." I thought "IOI prepared another tutorial level demo like 'Hitman: No Subtitle' had." Unfortunately, I quickly noticed that this new demo was the exact same demo that 'Hitman: No Subtitle' had, it only featured updated mechanics and lighting. I was a little disappointed until I noticed the prompt for "claim legacy pack". Curious, I looked it up and found out something cool. Because I had purchased all the maps for 'Hitman: No Subtitle', I could redownload them for Hitman 2 (With all the map and lighting improvements) without having to buy the full game. I spent the next week playing all my favourite maps (So basically Sapienza and Hokkaido) whilst marvelling at how IOI had put together such a fantastic consumer positive deal. (I swear I don't work for their marketing department!)

At that time I decided that IOI deserved my purchase; Besides, I was sure that the folks at Rockstar wouldn't go hungry if I got their game next year. (Spoiler: They didn't.) Then I spent my time familiarizing myself with all the maps, story and gadgets that 'Hitman 2: No Subtitle' had to offer, whilst utilizing all the unlocks that I had acquired from my impromptu demo playthrough of the original 'No subtitle'. I found the lack of an episodic release schedule rather saddening, although I'm apparently in the minority in that regard, but I quickly overcame such worries to love this game even more than the first. (In most areas.) So let me convey that love by continuing my level-by-level guide into the IOI's design and maybe learn a little bit about world design along the way.

Hitman 2 kicks off in an moody and atmospheric fashion, as 47 rides in his speedboat towards a lone minimalist house situated on a washed-out beach in Hawkes Bay, New Zealand. This a level that positively exudes atmosphere, from the windy beaches to the twilight moonlit locale, and the desolation of this house being the only sign of habitation for as far as the eye can see. IOI even decided to lean into the cinematic approach, taking away the player's HUD and having them just enjoy the location first.

The story picks up where the last game left off, with Diana meeting Providence's spokesperson (The Constant) and arranging a deal between them and the Agency to hunt down this Shadow Broker. The trail leads them to the former girlfriend of ex-militia leader Sean Rose; Alma Reynard. Alma appears to have taken up the mantle of Militia leader since her beau was murdered, and is utilizing her background in eco-terrorism to fuel their anti-elitist operations. Alma is a lot less unhinged than Sean, although she appears to have far fewer scruples than he did. She is an anti-corporate professional who isn't afraid to spill innocent blood to get the job done, however, she does acknowledged that "The boss doesn't like it".  47 is tasked with finding a lead on the Shadow broker and taking her out in a manner that is decently clandestine.

IOI seems to have taken a leaf out of horror indie games when it came to this level, as they make sure that the player familiarizes themselves with the environment (and, incidental, the controls) before any danger is introduced. When 47 lands on the beach, Reynard and her team are not yet home, so the player has time to break in whilst worrying about nothing more than the property's cameras. As this is a 'small' level (At least in comparison to the rest of the game) this level is guided in the beginning, ensuring that the players hit most level story beats in the same way a traditional video game would.

If you follow the guided narrative of the level (And don't just pick up the key in the pot by the door) you will break into the basement and see the murdered bodies of the house's previous inhabitants. It is not long after this that IOI introduce one of their more ingenious world building techniques that Hitman 2 implemented. Once you walk into the main room, you see an impressive projector TV that is stuck on the news channel. Here we see Pam Kingsley, the journalist from the Marrakesh level, presenting information about world events and enriching Hitman lore. Not only was it clever to introduce such a storytelling device in a thematically arresting way, but to use an established character with that device helps to root it in the world that the audience is already attached to. That right there, is clever storytelling!

Once the level really begins (After Reynard and her new lover, Orson Mills, come home.) you're in for a surprisingly tough introductory mission. You might think the situation would be easy to handle, giving that you are in such a confined space, but ,in fact, rather the opposite is true. Much like with Sean Rose's compound, Alma's entire house is a restricted area, (What? You mean she doesn't let random strangers up in her business?) meaning that the player is instantly tasked with a traditional stealthy mission of sneaking about whilst her 15-odd men wander through the house.

With Colorado, I complained about there being no place to relent from the guards, but in Hawke's Bay I find it rather exciting. Perhaps it is due to the location itself being so small, you don't have to cover large distances whilst crouch-sprinting, (That must be hell on the hamstrings) all 47 must do is haunt the corridors of this fairly small abode like an angel of death. It almost feels like being on the other side of a horror movie, no one even knows that the murderer is already in the house.

When it comes to the core narrative, IO do a good job of establishing Alma's character, even if she isn't that 3 dimensional. Unlike other assassinations, however, her flavour dialogue is almost non-optional, because you can literally hear her voice in every room. It takes away some of the 'investagtive' flavour that some of the first game's targets had. Although the dialogues themselves are great to overhear, I particularly love the one in which she calls up someone to blackmail them into pushing their boss off a roof. She ruthlessly threatens the well being of the man's family whilst pausing to tell Orson what kind of coffee she wants. It's a darkly amusing character establishing moment.

Unfortunately, due to this level being relatively small, there are few assassination opportunities to take advantage of. (And none which take advantage of the house's AI or the dog that never shows up but everyone keeps mentioning, 'Max') Nothing has the deviously sardonic charm that you expect from Hitman, you could swap out any target for Alma and nothing will have changed. Heck, some of the map challenges even have you target Orson for some reason. (Likely because IOI wanted to do a 'Psyco' reference and they realized that they couldn't depict Alma in the shower.) Disappointing, but as the level is short lived it isn't too much of a deal breaker.

Ultimately, Hawkes Bay takes the place of the introductory missions from 'Hitman: No Subtitle' but does so in a manner that is a lot more rigid. I appreciate IOI trying something different, but this sort of level doesn't really jive with the rest of the Hitman experience. I enjoy the 'playground' aspect of it (Alma literally has a gun wall full of new weapons to play with) but I can imagine a new player coming to the game and being utterly confused or misled by this first mission. It's wouldn't be until Miami that 'Hitman 2: No Subtitle' started in earnest, but we'll pick that up tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment