Most recent blog

Along the Mirror's Edge

Thursday 26 November 2020

Cyberpunk and Xbox are confusing me

So which fans are getting which game?

So Cyberpunk is coming out in a scant few weeks as far as I can remember, and though I'm adamant not to get my hopes up for a release window that has failed me all year long, that doesn't mean I haven't cast a curious eye over proceedings every now and then. Whenever there's a tweet I'm usually there to eye it (in case a surprise delay drops) if a PR fellow happens to gab the most inconsequential murmur to the press I'll be reading it, and when a surprise video drops that's purely in Russian, I'll watch that whole thing because I have nothing better to do. That being said, the most recent video that Cyberpunk dropped (as of the writing of this blog which, just to remind you all, was a week ago) has been a showcase of console footage for the first time ever, and it confused me.

Now first of all it should be said that the footage looked fine. Absolutely nothing wrong with it in that regard, apart from the way that Youtube compression sort of undersold everything but that much it to be expected. Crowd density didn't look jaw dropping or anything, but such is to be expected, this is the last gen version of a game that seems firmly made for the next gen. What confused me was the way that the footage switched between Xbox One X footage Series X footage, without any perceivable change. I'm being serious, the gameplay, framerate, texture density; everything looked the exact same to the point where it was unclear exactly what CDPR were trying to prove with the footage.

Now at a stretch I could give the team the benefit of the doubt and say that this may have all been the consequence of Youtube compression. Afterall 60 fps is pretty much the only thing that's easy to spot on any monitor and without 4k viewing options the difference was bound to be negligible, but there's still a layer of finish that I just plain found to be missing on the next gen version of the game. What I mean is, you can tell whenever you see Demon's Souls footage, it looks fantastic regardless of compression, and whilst this game looked fine I didn't get that wow factor. Perhaps some of the light source glow in the later parts of the trailer looked decent enough in diffusions, but it really does look like we'll be splitting hairs when it comes to how this newer console Cyberpunk games perform.

But of course, this wasn't without explanation. Because you see, when CDPR promised free upgrades to next gen versions of the Cyberpunk games they weren't talking about the games we're being shown now. Because, rather oddly given the name of the video, the footage shown was not of the Xbox Series X version of Cyberpunk, but rather the Xbox One version running on a series X through Backward compatibility. This is the way in which CDPR are hoping to ensure Cyberpunk is available everywhere by day one, rather sneaky if you ask me. They did confirm that the free upgrades will be available sometime next year and those versions of the game are sure to look mindblowing in every facet, but right now all we have are these slightly supped up compatibility jobs.

It's an interesting route to take and it makes me wonder about the state of the new generation of consoles now that Backwards compatibility has become an expected thing. Previously generations would be hard cut-offs for games, but now there no longer needs to be that distinction because newer consoles can run that old software seemingly effortlessly, and with an improved framerate. And given the launch line-up for Xbox in particular, it's a literal lifesaver for Xbox fans because otherwise they'd have to deal with dry spells for months or getting charged up the nose for inconsequential updates like Ubisoft have done in the past. It adds a whole new dynamic to the game library of people and, I like to think, adds a little value to us to like to hold onto our old games.

But at the same time it has led to this awkward transitory period where we're constantly having to ask ourselves if this game has any new touches to it or if we've been had yet again. I mean, does this issue with Cyberpunk mean that people who turn up to stores to buy a copy for their brand new Series X will be forced to get a Xbox One version of the game? (all the better, I really don't like the way that the new cases just say 'Xbox' ontop of them. It's like the marketing team are actively trying to confuse consumers in every way.) But then things get even more confusing when you realise that Xbox are selling their new games in Series X cases, but those discs can run on a Xbox One too. (Yeah, figure that one out.) It all just makes Microsoft's ecosystem utterly perplexing.

I suppose out the otherside what I'm really wondering about is what effect this will have on the PC versions of Cyberpunk when they release. Is this going to be a situation where Cyberpunk gets a glow up patch in 6 months time or is everything launching at it's utmost on PC out the gate, because if we're looking at the latter then what exactly is the point of the console versions coming out this soon? Or wait, is it in order to secure that ever-so-tantalising accolade of a 2020 release for an adaptation of Cyberpunk 2020. And I'm starting to think that very accolade is going to end up costing this game is some, as of yet unseeable, fashion. 

But maybe I'm being alarmist, as of right now a brand new Cyberpunk event will have released and though it's far beyond something that will drum up my hype again, (I'm seriously done getting excited anymore) that'll be something to highlight just how pretty this game can look. I do wonder at potential downgrades, which footage has been careful not to show off but when a project is cut this close I have to consider it, but nothing will ruin the overall gameplay experience, I'm sure. All this news just means I'm going to be spending a little longer than usual scratching my head and wondering why it is that Microsoft and CDPR are so insistent on being abstract. (I just don't get it.)

No comments:

Post a Comment